Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Promotion Winning Tactic (5-2-3)

I used to go by the theory, to win matches you must dominate them possession wise. Now I find that is not true!
Then I thought that you had to alter the D-Line according to what was in the scout report – another mistake that was a constant thorn in my side.
So I decided to try and develop a tactic where I need...

never change the D-Line, or even better – no more tweaking at all!!!
People will be quick to say ‘it can’t be done on this version’, what happens when the AI susses your tactic? It’s happened to me plenty of times, a tactic works wonders then barely works at all.
If you play with a deep D-Line you opponents have too many choices.
They can play deep themselves; push up or anywhere in between.

But what if we chose to push up?
Your opponents have to fall back. But WHY?
Because we are using the offside trap. If they push up, then their tactic won’t be effective!

But we’ve tried the offside trap before and it doesn’t work?
If you push the D-Line up and play with FIVE defenders, none on man marking, it seems like common sense but make sure ALL your defenders have suitable pace.

Because I’m using 5 men in defence, I choose 2 in midfield and 3 in attack (5-2-3)
I’m playing a direct style of football so I think 2 men in attack will be to easy. THREE gives them a lot more to think about!

I set the centre one as a target man with flicks to either side and I find this causes chaos amongst the opponents defence. They always mark the target man but his superior heading often wins the flick ons, then they have to try and stop another TWO strikers. They can’t do that with a FOUR man defence!

This formation is perfect against the 4-2-4 and punishes any team that tries it.

Also if I get a man sent off, I often go on to win anyway!

HINTS AND TIPS
I started using this during the season and I found it took a minimum of six games before I started getting a pattern of results.

Even from a new season it took about 15 games until the team gelled and really went from strength to strength.

This is optimised for the lower Leagues. Untested at higher level, so far.
At the Lower Leagues make sure every defender has double figures in pace.

I asked the board to find a parent club, this is a huge boost at this level. My board offered me West Ham or Crystal Palace. They pay you £15,000 per year AND a friendly AND you get to loan their best young players while THEY pay ALL their wages!

Mark Sale is available on a FREE and will fit the target man role in the first season.

I was intending to wait until the end of season hence the title, but I would be amazed if we blew promotion now!

Lennon 5-2-3tactics

No comments:

Template by : Ali